Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Tentang Tan Sri Ramon Navaratnam

Sila klik di sini untuk membaca artikel tentang beliau yang telah disiarkan di akhbar The Star edisi Jumaat, 7 Januari yang lalu.

Berikut adalah di antara kenyataan menarik yang dikeluarkan beliau;

“Frankly, I’m not interested in money. I’m not motivated by it. I’ve got a comfortable house. It’s not huge, but it’s not small either. How many beds can you sleep in in one night? How many cars can you drive at a time?”

* * *

“today, the civil service does not enjoy that prestigious position. Those in the civil service are not as well paid as their private sector counterparts. In those days, there was hardly any private sector.

“And, unfortunately, the civil service is now predominantly one race, so many young Malaysians feel a sense of alienation. They don’t feel they have equal chances. Back then we felt we had equal opportunities.”

* * *

“When I was with the Government and got to attend World Bank and IMF meetings and negotiations, I saw the great inequity between the rich and poor countries, and I recognised through economics, which I studied, and through economic policies, that half the world’s population earned less than US$1 a day, and that their poverty is largely because of unfair trade and international financial policies.”

The more experience and knowledge Ramon acquired, the more he felt attuned to the plight of the poor.

“Knowing all this, you react against it as a reasonable, compassionate human being.

“That’s how my thoughts and concerns develop and which I feel have to be articulated and expressed, so that they might contribute a little bit towards change in thinking and policies.

“I feel strongly, that’s why I write. I don’t like people to get away with nonsense.”

Ramon says he tries to come across as “positively provocative to win the response and reaction of Malaysians”, but adds with disappointment: “People are reluctant to debate and talk publicly.

“Democracy is new to us. It’s not part of our heritage. People here are not culturally accustomed to it. They are taught to respect authority and not question it. They think it’s a liability to disagree, but that’s a bad attitude and bad practice.”

Ramon says Malaysians must change their outlook and be open to discussion to reap the benefits of the system.

“From an exchange of ideas and thoughts, we’ll be able to get a better consensus.”

“I will continue to work, because there’s a saying that work is prayer. There must be purpose in life. As long as God gives me life, I will utilise it to the full.

“I want to be active. I don’t want my mind to be idle. I want to be self-reliant for my own self-respect.”

Klik di sini untuk melihat perjalanan kareer beliau

No comments: